July, 2014 Author Earnings Report
Check out the July, 2014 author earnings report:
It has some good news for self-published authors:
- Indie authors found success with the Amazon bestseller lists, topping the Big 5 numbers in some statistics.
- Indie authors drew in good revenues from bestselling e-books.
Also worth noting:
- The Big 5 e-books made more revenue for Amazon than indie e-books, even though indie e-books drew more author revenue.
- It’s worth reading the note about DRM being a bad idea. See the graph to see which price ranges this affects most (in some cases, the difference is slight; for others, it’s significant).
- Check the graph that sorts data by genre. You can see that indies do well in more genres/subjects than just romance.
- The charts also include small and medium publishers.
Successful Indie Authors
Here is a recent article from Yahoo Finance, highlighting recent indie author successes:
While this article looked specifically at romance writers, the previous report showed that indie are having success in other genres and subjects, too.
The big thing to remember is that there are millions of books to choose from:
- You need a cover that attracts your target audience. If it attracts the wrong audience, it will cost you much traffic. If the cover doesn’t look quite right, it’s a lost opportunity.
- The blurb and Look Inside are your only sales tools at the point-of-sale. They need to be immaculate. They need to engage the reader immediately and keep it throughout.
- It’s worth perfecting the content. Word-of-mouth sales are golden. You need excellent ideas that will attract readers, and a writing style to match.
- Market for long-term success. Real success takes much time and patience to build up.
Copyright © 2014 Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
Follow me at WordPress, find my author page on Facebook, or connect with me through Twitter.
Click here to jump to the comments section:
Reblogged this on Confessions of a published author and commented:
Chris, this is another fantastic and very informative post!
Thank you. 🙂
That’s great news, Chris. This should make people aware that there really are some good writers out there who self-publish!
There are many excellent indie authors. 🙂
Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog….. An Author Promotions Enterprise! and commented:
GOTTA re-blog this NOW Chris – Good News for Authors is rare 😀
Hopefully, that is starting to change for the better. 🙂
Thanks, Chris! Interesting information and looking forward to seeing future data.