Amazon launched a new program for Kindle authors called Kindle Scout, which gives you the opportunity to publish through Kindle Press.
The program has some nice incentives:
- $1500 advance
- 50% royalties on e-books (25% on audio books and 20% on translations)
- Amazon-featured marketing
- A variety of circumstances enable easy rights reversions
- You retain the right to publish in print
Sure, 50% is less than the 70% you can get with KDP, but you don’t get a $1500 advance with KDP and KDP is self-publishing; this is a step up.
Sure, you can sometimes get more than a $1500 advance from a traditional publisher, but 50% royalties are HUGE compared to traditional publishing.
Here are a few important notes:
- Presently open to US authors (often, if an Amazon program is successful, they expand to the UK)
- Currently accepting submissions for: romance, fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, thriller (visit the site and click the “Let us know” link where genres are listed to make a request)
- Must be a complete manuscript with at least 50,000 words, never before published (if it’s been available on Smashwords or Amazon, it’s considered published)
- Readers check out covers and Look Insides and nominate their favorites
- You’ll need an excellent cover, title, one-liner, description, and Look Inside; it will be competitive
Learn more at the official website: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/submit.
Imagine a Black Friday type of event just for book lovers.
You don’t have to imagine it. It’s called Read Tuesday, and it’s free: www.readtuesday.com.
Looking for some spooky books to read this Halloween month?
Copyright © 2014 Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
- Boxed set (of 4 books) now available for Kindle pre-order
Follow me at WordPress, find my author page on Facebook, or connect with me through Twitter.
Click here to jump to the comments section: