Did you notice the new advertisement for funny reviews at Amazon? On the homepage, there is an ad that says, “You Guys Are Really Funny.” It’s not an external ad; it links to an Amazon page. The page features 10 different products (only the last one is a book). Each has 3 funny customer reviews.
If you haven’t seen these funny reviews, you should check them out:
They are pretty hilarious.
Why did Amazon do this?
- Perhaps to share something funny and put customers in a good mood.
- Maybe to help try to improve the perception of customer reviews.
- Possibly to encourage customers to write product reviews – showing that you can be creative and have fun with it.
- It could be to generate more reviews of products other than books, since 9 out of 10 of the products featured weren’t books.
- There might not be just one reason. Or it could just be the first point and we shouldn’t overanalyze this.
Regardless of the motive, this advertisement for funny reviews could have any of these effects. None of which would be a bad thing, really.
In the spirit of these reviews, maybe the real reason is to get more guys to buy products on Amazon, hoping the products will help them with the subject of women. 🙂
Chris McMullen, author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers, Vol. 1 (formatting/publishing) and Vol. 2 (packaging/marketing)
Reblogged this on thehouseofbailey.
Thanks for helping to spread the word. 🙂
LOL. Some of those are GREAT. 😀
I tried to find funny reviews once and had a hard time doing it myself. Somebody did a great job finding these nuggets. 🙂
Perhaps the intent is to make Amazon seem “human”. Perceived as a big, corporate ogre, presenting a humorous side makes the company’s image a little more desireable. Thanks for sharing this post. I hadn’t noticed the ad before.
That’s an excellent point. 🙂 Thank you for contributing.