KINDLE FOR KIDS
Amazon released five new Kindles, including the new Kindle Fire HD Kids Edition.
(The other four new Kindles include a low-priced Fire, a new Fire HDX, an inexpensive Kindle with Touch, and a new Kindle Voyage said to be, “Our most advanced Kindle—passionately crafted for readers.”)
Amazon says, regarding the Fire HD Kids Edition, “If they break it, we’ll replace it. No questions asked.” It comes with a 2-year worry-free guarantee.
It’s an HD tablet with a 6″ display. It also comes with some enticing features:
- Kid-proof case for durability. Choose blue, green, or pink.
- Parental controls. This helps with age-appropriate content, limiting screen time, and educational goals, too.
- One year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited. (Not to be confused with Kindle Unlimited.) This is 5000 kid-friendly movies, books, TV shows, apps, and games from Disney, Nick Jr., Sesame Street, and more. I also see Spider-Man, Superman, Spongebob Squarepants, Curious George… It’s all good stuff.
- Two-year worry-free guarantee.
The bad news is that it’s available for pre-order. The release date is October 21, 2014.
GOOD FOR AUTHORS
Children’s authors who have Kindle editions benefit from this, as it encourages more parents to let their children use Kindles.
Keep in mind that many kids will mostly be using Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, which does not include Kindle Unlimited.
But some will be looking for reading material outside of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
And as the kids get older, they may get into the habit—the Kindle reading habit. And they may gain Kindle reading time.
Some parents will also realize the value of Kindle Unlimited: A huge library of bedtime stories, reading books, homework help, etc. for $9.99 per month. This may benefit KDP Select authors.
Copyright © 2014 Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
Follow me at WordPress, find my author page on Facebook, or connect with me through Twitter.