AMS AD STOPPED
Advertisements for KDP Select books placed through Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) can now be stopped by Amazon.
Why are some KDP ad campaigns stopping?
Due to low relevance.
Low relevance can mean more than one thing.
The most common explanation is that the click-to-views ratio is very small, probably small compared to 1 in 1000 (or 0.1%). If you’re getting 4000 views per click, for example, your AMS ad is likely to be stopped due to low relevance.
That’s not the only possible explanation, but the click-to-views ratio is the simplest way for Amazon to measure the relevance of your ad. If only 1 out of 4000 people who see your ad clicks on it, your ad evidently isn’t very relevant to the people who see it. In contrast, if 1 out of 300 people who see an ad click on it, that ad is more relevant to the people who see it.
There are other ways to determine relevance, such as comparing the list of targeted products to the categories and keywords of the book.
Most of the factors that affect relevance also impact the click-to-views ratio, so this probably is a very good indicator.
Why does Amazon care?
- Authors only pay for clicks, not views. So Amazon is losing money on ads with very low click-to-view ratios.
- The advertisements will lose their effectiveness if many ads have low relevance, as people will start ignoring them out of habit. (Don’t worry: Amazon is preventing this by stopping ads that show low relevance.)
- A few authors have indubitably abused the system by intentionally targeting products with low relevance. (Yes, I can think of examples, but I won’t share them. Let’s not add to the abuse.)
HOW TO IMPROVE RELEVANCE
If your AMS ad was stopped due to low relevance, you can start a new KDP ad campaign for the same book.
You’ll want to improve the relevance for your ad so that your next ad doesn’t get stopped.
Here are ways to improve your ad’s relevance:
- If you originally targeted by interest, switch to product targeting instead.
- If you originally targeted by product, select a shorter list of more relevant products. Spend more time researching a product list.
- If your cover may not instantly reveal the book’s genre or content, a cover that better attracts your target audience may impact your relevance.
Better targeting is usually the cure to improved relevance.
Write happy, be happy. 🙂
Copyright © 2015
Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
- 4-in-1 Boxed set includes both volumes and more
Click here to jump to the comments section: