KINDLE SERIES BUNDLES
Amazon appears to be bundling some Kindle series now.
Please thank sword and sorcery fantasy author Charles E. Yallowitz for mentioning this, and for letting me use the image for this post.
If you want to check out how this looks at Amazon, you can see it in action with Charles E. Yallowitz’s Legends of Windemere series:
(By the way, I’m a big fan of the storytelling and characterization of this series.)
Here is how it works:
- On books 1-5, below the Amazon description, there is a heading called Books In This Series (5 Books), with thumbnails below the heading.
- The left thumbnail shows 3 of the books. It’s called the Complete Series.
- To its right, each volume is shown separately, numbered clearly 1 thru 5.
- The price of the complete series appears to be exactly the same as buying each volume individually.
- It’s automatic, if you complete the series info at KDP. However, not every series is showing like this. It may depend on how many volumes you have in the series or other factors.
It’s not perfect yet.
Here are a few issues that I see:
- Where are the savings? Customers don’t appear to save 1 penny by buying the whole series.
- Missing volumes. Charles actually has 7 volumes in this series, but only the first 5 are showing.
But there are benefits:
- Finally, it’s easy to find the volumes of a series. As a customer who reads sci-fi and fantasy series, I have firsthand experience struggling to find all the volumes of a series and read them in order.
- It looks cool.
This is new. So maybe it isn’t perfected yet.
Maybe Amazon will offer KDP authors the opportunity to offer the series bundle with incentive pricing.
That would be nice:
- We wouldn’t need to create a separate omnibus edition.
- If purchasing the bundle impacts the sales ranks of each volume individual (to be determined), this would be an improvement over the omnibus.
Have you seen this bundle yet?
What do you think about it?
Write happy, be happy. 🙂
Copyright © 2015
Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
- 4-in-1 Boxed set includes both volumes and more
- Kindle Formatting Magic (coming soon)