BOOK COVER PROMOS
If you have a great book cover, you want to take advantage of it.
While I designed most of my own book covers, my best book covers were designed by a professional. For example, the cover you see below was designed by Melissa Stevens at http://www.theillustratedauthor.net. (This is a lower resolution version for my blog.)
Just imagine your cover on a big city billboard like the one below, put together by The Story Reading Ape at thestoryreadingapeblog.com/tsra-3d-books.
If you’re thinking, “Sure, that would be cool, but I could never afford that, and even if I could, I would never recover my investment,” then you’re missing the point.
What you can do is create 3D versions of your cover, like the one below (designed by The Story Reading Ape at thestoryreadingapeblog.com/tsra-3d-books), or put your cover in some unexpected, cool-looking place, like on a billboard in downtown Hong Kong.
Take your cool book cover and make it pop even more.
Compared to the price of a typical book cover, getting a 3D promo cover can be quite reasonable. The Story Reading Ape’s services are quite affordable, in my opinion.
You can use these book promo covers:
- on your blog
- on your Author Central page (you can add images)
- on bookmarks (through overnightprints.com, for example)
- on letterhead (through overnightprints.com, for example)
- on promotional items like t-shirts or coffee mugs
- on exclusive items readers could win through contests
- on Facebook, Twitter, and other forms of social media
Or you can take things a step further, and get fans to take photos of themselves doing something (zany? fun? smart?) with your book, posting the images on their own sites.
If you like the billboard idea:
- When searching for big city billboards on stock photo sites like ShutterStock, beware that most of the results are for editorial use only. Filter the search results by clicking the option to Refine Your Search, selecting the Non-Editorial option.
- You might want to make a disclaimer that says, to some effect, that your book isn’t really displayed on a Manhattan billboard, and that the image is for entertainment purposes only. But I’m not an attorney, so if you want legal advice, you should consult an attorney.
Write happy, be happy. 🙂
Copyright © 2016
Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
Click here to view my Goodreads author page.
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
- 4-in-1 Boxed set includes both volumes and more
- Kindle Formatting Magic (coming soon)
Follow me at WordPress, find my author page on Facebook, or connect with me through Twitter.
Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
Many thanks to Author Chris McMullen for showcasing some of my latest work on his fantastic blog 👍😃🐵
Thank you, Chris, for the great pictures and the reblog. 🙂
Welcome for both Chris 👍😃
Amazing! What terrific ideas. These look great.
Thank you. 🙂
The top one is very nice, but the billboard one is ruined for me forever by all the erotica authors on twitter. A handful like to use billboards for their covers, and they are always showing up in my feeds.
That’s good to know. 🙂
Exciting time. Love the 3D covers by Chris..
Me, too. 🙂
Mr. Ape did an amazing job on the billboard ads. And I really like your ideas, especially having readers hold your book, and then using it for promotion purposes. And I think readers would love to get in on the action. Another super post, Chris. 🙂
Thank you, Tracy. 🙂
All good ideas Chris
Thank you. 🙂
Your comments, as usual, are spot on, The importance of a cover is very important
Thank you. 🙂
Reblogged this on MARSocial Author Business Enhancement Dragon Post.
Reblogged this on theowlladyblog.
Thank you. 🙂