KINDLE UNLIMITED FOR DECEMBER, 2015
First, let’s look at the Kindle Unlimited payments for December, 2015. Then we’ll look at trends for the past six months.
What did Kindle Unlimited pay for pages read in December of 2015?
Kindle Unlimited paid $0.00461 per KENP page read in the United States in December, 2015. That’s a 6.3% drop compared to $0.00492 per page in November.
However, this was compensated as…
The KDP Select Global Fund was $13.5M for December, 2015. That’s a 6.3% increase.
The KENP pages read continue to drop somewhat, while the KDP Select Global Fund continues to increase significantly.
This suggests that:
- More readers are joining Kindle Unlimited and/or on average they are reading more pages.
- More books are having more pages read each month, on average.
- Kindle Unlimited is continually increasing its share of the total e-book market.
- But while Kindle Unlimited readers and pages read are on the rise, they payment per page has been dropping.
The holiday season may have impacted both the payment for pages read and the KDP Global Select Fund.
According to a December 1 press release, Amazon had a record Black Friday weekend for the sale of Amazon devices, over 3 times the previous year. Amazon had several new devices out and really pushed them.
So perhaps Kindle Unlimited subscriptions and pages read were both pushed upward considerably during December, and if so, perhaps the payment for pages read will settle down a little in the near future.
Another important figure to keep in mind is that over 40,000 books are added to Kindle Unlimited each month. There are now approximately 1.2M books in Kindle Unlimited.
More books means greater selection, which may help to attract more customers. (Indeed, the Global Fund trends suggest this is happening.)
The competition probably helps more than it hurts, e.g. through customers-also-bought lists. When customers finish one Kindle Unlimited book that they enjoy, they tend to search for another like it.
KINDLE UNLIMITED BREAKDOWN BY COUNTRY
Here is a breakdown of how much Kindle Unlimited paid per page read in various countries:
- United States: $0.00461 per page (US dollars). That’s a drop of 6.3% from November’s payment of $0.00492.
- United Kingdom: £0.00306 per page (British pounds). That’s also a drop of 6.4% from November’s £0.00327.
- Germany: €0.00389 per page (Euro). That’s a drop of 8.5% from November’s €0.00425.
- France: €0.00429 per page (Euro). That’s a drop of 6.3% from November’s €0.00458.
- India: ₹0.1008 per page (Indian rupees). That’s a drop of 6.2% from November’s ₹0.1075.
It pretty consistently dropped about 6.3%.
KINDLE UNLIMITED PAGES READ TRENDS JULY THRU DECEMBER, 2015
The following graph and table show the trends in Kindle Unlimited payments for KENP pages read from July, 2015 thru December, 2015.
- $0.0058 per page in July, 2015
- $0.0051 per page in August, 2015
- $0.0051 per page in September, 2015
- $0.0048 per page in October, 2015
- $0.0049 per page in November, 2015
- $0.0046 per page in December, 2015
KDP GLOBAL SELECT FUND JULY THRU DECEMBER, 2015
The following graph and table show the trends in the KDP Select Global Fund from July, 2015 thru December, 2015.
- $11.5M in July, 2015
- $11.8M in August, 2015
- $12.0M in September, 2015
- $12.4M in October, 2015
- $12.7M in November, 2015
- $13.5M in December, 2015
Write happy, be happy. 🙂
Copyright © 2016
Chris McMullen, Author of A Detailed Guide to Self-Publishing with Amazon and Other Online Booksellers
Click here to view my Goodreads author page.
- Volume 1 on formatting and publishing
- Volume 2 on marketability and marketing
- 4-in-1 Boxed set includes both volumes and more
- Kindle Formatting Magic (coming soon)
Follow me at WordPress, find my author page on Facebook, or connect with me through Twitter.
Click here to jump to the comments section.